Monday, July 25, 2005

Parsing the Yuan Revaluation

Brad DeLong’s website excerpts an exchange between Nouriel Roubini of NYU’s Stern Business School and David Altig, who labors in the research department of the Federal Reserve, on the Wall Street Journal website concerning the Yuan revaluation.

An excellent exchange on Roubini's part, providing more clarity than usual.

But I found Altig's apparent confounding of "revaluation" and "forex market liberalization" completely off the mark—and somewhat dismaying, when one considers that the grey infallibility of the Fed apparently encompasses views on China that I find basically incorrect.

If China's move is anything, call it a "managed peg", with the only difference that instead of the transparency and stability of an unambiguous dollar peg, the PBOC can fiddle with the Euro, Yen, and dollar exchange rates based upon opaque policy and strategic considerations.

As I understand it, the foreign exchange markets in China exist to put buyer and seller enterprises together to smooth out current account transactions, not to set prices (the prices can only fluctuate within a derisory band), and certainly not to manage flows of speculative capital.

When the PBOC talks about "hot money"—which apparently excites Western economists with its implication that Chinese forex markets are open to the immense international capital flows that can overwhelm the price-setting ambitions of a single country--it is talking about improper forex inflows--a.k.a. illegal inflows--of speculative capital masquerading as operating or investment capital and parked in bank accounts or in real estate against an expected appreciation of the RMB.

This kind of “hot money” enters China secretly, with difficulty, and illegally, because of corruption and despite the vigilance of the PBOC. The free market invisible hand isn’t at work in the Chinese forex markets yet; it’s still government fiat disrupted by an occasional insinuating free market finger.

The Chinese have crystal clear memories of the Asian financial crisis suffered by countries with open forex regimes--which China escaped.

China's illiberal forex regime--which is more like a compulsory sale to the state of unallocated forex-denominated capital and excess forex operating funds at a fixed rate and very little like a purchase intervention to maintain some notional exchange rate, with comprehensive mechanisms meant to identify and hinder the inflow of speculative capital--has provided the Chinese government with immense foreign exchange reserves and the financial and political leverage that goes with them.

I don't think the Chinese government is complaining they have too much forex. The only downside, as Roubini points out, is sterilizing the domestic inflationary consequences of soaking up the copious RMB PBOC hands out in return for all those dollars.

If any forex-related crisis is going to bring down the Communist government, it's going to be domestic, money-supply driven inflation, not the unslaked thirst of the Chinese middle class for cheaper Kraft macaroni and cheese and whatever other seductive exports America can muster.

This makes genuine liberalization of China's foreign exchange regime unlikely.

The Chinese probably resent the fact that they were forced to revalue, thereby giving speculators increased incentive to finagle money into the country in anticipation of another revaluation.

But perhaps the most significant outcome for the Chinese is the fact that the cost of their domestic sterilization operations were cut by 2% and inflationary pressures were reduced correspondingly.

The significance for America is that China has abandoned its unipolar reliance on a dollar peg, and is now free to experiment with the implications of a multi-polar forex world in which China is insulated from genuine market pressures and can juggle the exchange rates to decrease the proportion of dollar inflows. Not exactly a big win for the American economy or free trade, IMO.

29 comments:

WorldTrader said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

If you are looking for a REAL way to make serious money without hassles then read on... forex forex forextraderguide.info guide guide trader trader Site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff. Free Forex eBooks :-)

Check it out if you get time :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

FXGUY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FXGUY said...

You make some excellent points in your blog. I have an interest in the topic and even have a forex site on the topic of forex trading
where I've provided free articles related to forex currency trading. Good job and thanks.

Gordon said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my FOREX related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

Gordon said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my FOREX related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

doer said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a forex tutorial site. It pretty much covers Forex related stuff.

PolarTrader said...

I have a currency exchange foreign function market Site. It pretty much covers currency exchange foreign function market related stuff.

Check it out if you get time :-)

Free Traffic System said...

Hello,

I liked your blog. I found many interesting information here.
I also give free info about forex free signal trail on my
href="http://www.WebTradingSystem.com">Forex Trading System
site.

If you have time please visit my web site to get some free forex free signal trail
information.

Kind regards,
Nick

Johnny said...

Hello, your blog is inmformative, I just found a brand new forex trading system using both Mathematical and psychlogical approch, hope you can visit and it will be useful to your trading life.

myperplexinglife2005 said...

Hi Blogger, Today I took some time to look for free forex strategy related pages. I have a site related to free forex strategy and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

DutchTreats950 said...

Hi Blogger, Today I took some time to look for free forex trading ebooks related pages. I have a site related to free forex trading ebooks and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

jembigsky506 said...

Hi Blogger, Today I took some time to look for forex ebooks related pages. I have a site related to forex ebooks and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for keeping it real.

rentecurto1003 said...

Hi Blogger, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for forex ebooks related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for forex ebooks related ideas today. Thanks.

. said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a learn forex trading blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

Google Page Rank 6 said...

Good blog very valuable info, I'll book market and come back offten, I did't see any adsense ads though. You should think about adding them. It is good revenue to you as a webmaster/ blogger.

I have a blog about The Facts of Forex

It is a pretty good blog if you want more information on How to make moneyTrading.

myperplexinglife2005 said...

Hi Blogger, I was searching online for some free forex strategy related sites and a I came across your post. I normally don't take the time to look at blogs but today I made an exception. After searching for about an hour for free forex strategy it is nice to find a post that is helpful. Thanks.

Johnny said...

hello, your blog is interesting to read, I have a currency trading website, it is informative and provides many currency charts and real time currency quote. It should be helpful to your trading.

. said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a forex forecast blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

eldwinjoshuawong1001 said...

Hi Blogger, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for free forex ebooks related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for free forex ebooks related ideas today. Thanks.

DutchTreats950 said...

Hi Blogger, There are not too many good free forex strategy related sites that aren't full of junk posts, search engine scraping and except for keyword stuffing, nothing useful related to free forex strategy. It was nice to find an exception today when I happened upon your site. Keep it going.

DutchTreats950 said...

Hi Blogger, As you are probably aware, there are so many junk filled blogs. As I was searching for forex trading ebooks related information today, it was a nice break from the 'usual' to come across your blog. I am happy I searched for forex trading ebooks related ideas today. Thanks.

HFUNDATION said...

I with no reasonable doubt say that the info you provided above was right to the point as we all know it forex can be very challenging and thus we should applaus to those that put in wore to provide us with all needed ideals and infomation. My self i`m very thankfull. You can get more ideals and info from my website forex

jembigsky506 said...

Hi Blogger, There are not too many good forex trading ebooks related sites that aren't full of junk posts, search engine scraping and except for keyword stuffing, nothing useful related to forex trading ebooks. It was nice to find an exception today when I happened upon your site. Keep it going.

Ana said...

http://www.fxpalace.com/ is one one the best forex sites i have found for beginners. It has everything you need ery well documented and explained.

Ana said...

http://www.fxpalace.com/ and babypips.com are one of the best forex sites containing tutorials for beginners, metatrader articles and so on. Worth to take a look.

dfadf said...

Microsoft Office
Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Office 2010 key
Office 2010 download
Office 2010 Professional
Microsoft outlook
Outlook 2010
Windows 7
Microsoft outlook 2010

happyoutlet said...

Vibram FiveFingers Womens
縐tes

Vibram FiveFingers Kso
and Peru free industry agreement (FTA), the contract was implemented, and the US / Colombia Cost-free Trade Agreement, the actual Agreement has not still been approved

Monster Justin Bieber Beats
Of course, the particular rich, these things really are barefoot, perhaps, a few serious injuries Vibram Your five Fingers of CSR activities of a simple and reliable advantage for the paws, which always appears like you're barefoot

Vibram Five Fingers Kso Trek
The idea that our foot without shoes using rubber soles, everyone has evolved over the long term

These shoes will be in an amazing variety of colors and designs that anyone who looks at her discretion to make an impression

Gucci Princy Britt Bags

dsadf said...

If we are a variety of oil in some of these backwater places, these are precisely wherever these small seafood backside,Inches Farling mentioned"I'm air jordan shoes allayed I am living, nevertheless I am terrified for anyone whom have not been found still," he said, incorporating that she intentions to Air Jordan stay in San Felipe through the research in addition to expectation others remain living The ocean King, that Bill jigs within the U Air Jordan Cheap Photos released because of the Asian deep blue exhibited numerous sunburned anglers in T-shirts as well as Bermudas waiting to have over a Cheap Nike Air Max coach Individuals are tired now," Henry Scott mentioned Company spokesman Alan Jeffers said there is simply no direct link in between all those Nike Air Max troubles along with the pipe failureIn William placed the hands on his / her tummy and also joked in relation to pigging Air Max 2011 out for the getawayThe particular 20-year-old Silvertip pipe supplied 40,500 casks a day to a refinery throughout Billings coupled some sort of route Ed Hardy Shop of which moves underneath the lake

amily said...

air max 2009 men
air max 95 men
air max 90 men
ugg boots 5815
ugg boots 5825
air jordan 13
air jordan 11