Monday, July 15, 2013

Edward Snowden is a Show-Off…And Al Gore is Fat!




There are interesting parallels between the liberal disgruntlement with Edward Snowden (typified by  Melissa Harris-Perry’s anti-Snowden screed on MSNBC) and the right’s beatdown of Al Gore’s physique and carbon footprint on the global warming issue.

The argument seems to be, unless the bearer of unwelcome tidings can demonstrate 100% plaster sainthood to his or her most dyspeptic critics, the message is not worth heeding.

Or, in a somewhat more generous framing, if somebody is trying to tell us about behavior that is immoral and short-sighted, the messenger must meet our personal standards of rectitude in order to be taken seriously.

Maybe, if someone threatens to discredit a worldview, they have to offer—and exemplify—something better.  More pointedly, if you are going to discredit my worldview, you are going to have to prove to me that you are better than me.

I can see how global warming presented a challenge to the conservative worldview that had to be beaten back by any means necessary, including disparaging Al Gore.

After all, if it was accepted that unrestrained human activity could ruin the planet,  that was a pretty striking indictment of god and the free market and made a pretty good case for running the global show through science and government intervention instead.

As for Edward Snowden, I don’t quite get it.

Maybe if it was accepted that unrestrained US government activity could ruin the planet,  that was a pretty striking indictment of neo-liberalism and globalization and made a pretty good case for running the global show through a class-based adversarial critique of global and national elites instead.

Or maybe Edward Snowden simply revealed some whacked-out surveillance shit that everybody should be happy to know about.

I’ll leave that question for the philosophers.

While I’m going Andy Rooney on the blogosphere, I am also struck that I have not seen any discussions of the interesting parallels between the collusion of the Egyptian military, deep state, and business and popular opponents of Morsi to foment a coup through a manufactured economic and political crisis…

…and the infamous Venezuelan toilet paper shortage.

The Venezuelan TP shortage always had a whiff of opposition/US psyops to me: an economic/market glitch that would humiliate and discredit the Madero regime in its relationship with the people of Venezuela in the most fundamental (yes, I said, fundamental), intimate, and potentially infuriating issue of all: the pressing, inescapable need to get crap off one’s ass.

How about it, American media.  Care to expose some neoliberal skullduggery against a disliked regime before the coup happens?...or is it too difficult to confront (cue fiendish laugh)………..an inconvenient truth?





23 comments:

Matthew Mueda said...

Very interesting post. Thank you for pleasure of reading.

http://www.paperwritings.com/

Pacific said...

Thanks for the article! Good news for those who want to read something interesting: please, visit Special-Essays.

Sonya Apple said...

Express gratitude you for you post!!! :)
Writings-centre.com

Kat said...

Great blog! Thanks for sharing!Check This Out

Amy Pearson said...

Very informative post. Check this out to know more!

alexxlexx said...

Good post, I like your style also I like to buy essay papers from prime-essay.org

jenny Rocks said...

Bright academic career supposes to be on the first place in college students' life time. But, it's not easy to create hundreds the history essays during the studying process. Furthermore, no one man is able to manage with such heavy workload, however, a paper services should do this simply. Thence you ought to rely on the custom writing service.

Inessa Small said...

Interesting post. By the way, students do not have to worry anymore about writing essays. Using first-rate custom essay writing service, that are available 24/7, learners will always get professionally written essays.

BobRobin said...

University studying process requires perfect writing skills, however, college students, which don't have time can fail their academic success. Thence, to order the term paper titles from the custom research paper writing service should be a great solution.

Luca Matrill said...

Thanks for providing the information with this post. Post is very nice! By the way, I want to share with you information about the best essay writing service

Marilyn Black said...

Cheap essay papers is one of those essay writing companies, which do their very best to make the customers 100% satisfied with their services.

Brendon Cooper said...

Best-essays-writers.org is the Best essay writing service where you can buy essays of all types at a cheap price. Their key goal is to help students improve their academic performance or enhance their reputation in front of professors and instructors. There are no restrictions for students who want to use our online services at a cheap price because we work to help every student get the desired grades.

Nina Simone said...

Nice article about comparisonща of Edward Snowden and AL Gore.. I wantto tell you that I am not interested in politics, I am interested in writing essays)So if you want to get professional essay help - go to this website best-essays-writers.com

Lan Linh said...

Great! Thanks for sharing the information. That is very helpful for increasing my knowledge in this field.
hulk games
mickey mouse games
rollercoaster creator
super adventure pals
madness project nexus hacked
my little pony puzzle
my little pony halloween

Alinda Fikri said...

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come
here and visit more often. Cara Tepa Supaya Cepat Hamil
Fantastic work!

don't forget visit my web : Bahaya Merokok Bagi Kesehatan Tubuh

Sara Morten said...

If you are creative, if you are young, if you love freedom,If you appreciate yourself! I have a tip for you! Once a team of professionals has helped me to finish school with honors! Since then I advise everyone I have the best http://custom-writing.net

Tasha Reid said...

Thanks for nice article!By the way, I reccomend everyone cool website www.advanced-writer.com online esaay help.Fast and high-quality team of professionals has fulfilled your task!

River Weaver said...

While writing an essay the things may turn more complicated, that you thought it would be.In this case,welcome to www.essays-shark.net and we offer you a wide range of the best writing services at an acceptable price.You`ll be satisfied with work you`ll receive

kitty23 said...

Hi to all! Thanks for this info! I like this site and glad that you shared it all wish as! And I want to tell about a great solution for all students, who studying in college, this is http://www.essay-mania.com - the best varient to solve problems with writing essays!

Patty McDavis said...

I suppose Al Gore was not bad candidate! I'm glad to find more info about him! I see you're experienced writer, unfortunately I'm not so lucky.. but I found a good solution - I order my papers and essays on www.papers-writings.com

Joselin Smitt said...

Thanks for good article! I so love read interesting article like this!!! If you student you agree that ssometimes you can be tired and dont have any idea what write in your essay! but i overcome this problem, i began order my assignments on site http://essay-professors.com

Mincecraft Games said...


I just want to say : why you do not click to play
- minecraft games
- happy wheels
- happy wheels
- tetris
- brain games
- puzzle games
- agario
- abcya
- fnaf 4

حسام داود said...


level تسليك مجارى بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف شقق بالرياض
تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة غسيل خزنات بالرياض
افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض
تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض